A RECIPE INSPIRATION,………and something more….
This recipe was inspired by Katie, of Thyme For Cooking….check out her lovely site for the original recipe and many of her other inspiring dishes! The only things I changed was using Quinoa instead of Barley, a few splashes of Balsamic Vinegar, one minced garlic clove and not sure but, are Kalamata Olives the same as dried cured Greek Olives? This is a delicious side dish at dinner, or on it’s own for lunch….(I was so hungry the morning I made this… I had it for breakfast!) Thank you Katie! And….a blessing…check out the bottom of the post.
½ cup Quinoa (I used a pre-rinsed organic brand)
1 cup chicken broth, or water, or vegetable stock
2 shallots, minced
1 minced garlic clove
¼ cup Kalamata Olives – pitted and chopped
1 Tblsp. Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the Quinoa in the chicken stock – bring to a boil, reduce to a light simmer with lid on for about 15 minutes, or until all the chicken stock is absorbed.
Meanwhile, heat a pan low to medium heat with the olive oil, and sauté the minced shallots until lightly browned, then add in the minced garlic, sauteing until fragrant. Add in a couple of splashes of Balsamic Vinegar.
Once the Quinoa is cooked, add it to the pan with the Kalamata Olives stirring to combine. Sprinkle the dish with a good layer of crumbled Feta Cheese. Delicious!
ON ANOTHER NOTE: Katie was gifted an award last week where she had to list 10 things that make her happy and 10 blogs that make her smile…she graciously included my new blog in her list. So using the theme of 10 and 10, here are mine in random order:
- I love cooking, sharing with loved ones and good friends
- I love the garden, spring, summer and fall – growing all types of flowers, and organic vegetables – reaping and sharing the harvest.
- Walking the gorgeous West Coast Beaches
- Running away for a few days with my DH to our favorite Gulf Island Getaway
- Swimming in the warm waters of Kona Hawaii
- Our 3 gorgeous kitties
- Sitting by the fire, when there is a storm outside
- Reading: fiction, non-fiction, history, and of course, cookbooks
- Great music, especially when my DH noodles on his guitar(which was custom built…and yes…5 strings! but that is another post ….. will be coming)
- Doing Yoga
Blogs that make me smile…. in random order:
- Karen at Heal Balance Live
- Karina’s Kitchen
- Katie at Thyme for Cooking
- Pioneer Woman
- Jeena’s Kitchen
- Gluten Free Girl
- Gluten Free Gobsmacked
- Erin at My Asperger Girls Adventures
- Pastor Ryan at This is Reverb
- Mary Francis at Gluten Free Cooking School
- All have the most inspiring, delicious recipes…… it has been such a delight to connect with such amazing people in the blogging realm! Bless your hearts…….. I give thanks and give this award to all of you!…… Ina