This was another amazing meal Jarrod created – Oh my goodness! You can not tell from the picture, but this was a very large zucchini 10-12 inches long, about 4 inches wide, and I wanted to eat the whole thing! Although my tummy would not have let me, I sure wanted to! And the aromas coming out of the kitchen..Divine. I love it when Jarrod cooks, I always know we will be served something amazing.
This was all the veggies sauteing, – lots of color in this pan!
So here is a list of ingredients:
1 1/2 large chopped onions
5 minced garlic cloves
1 Pablano pepper, de-seeded and membrane removed
1 Large Zucchini
2 carrots chopped small
2 1/2 cups roasted sunflower seeds
1 3/4 cup chopped, shredded red cabbage
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. smoked sweet Paprika
sprinkle of dried Thyme
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Now I will pass on Jarrod to give you the step by step process, take it away Jarrod:
Hey there everyone here is the numerical order of events.
- Grind sunflower seeds and put aside in a large bowl.
- Saute the onions in a large skillet over medium heat until soft ( about 5 minutes)
- Stir in the paprika and the salt
- Add the rest of the veggies and the garlic and cover for about 5 minutes . ( if the veggies start to stick to the pan, add a bit of water)
- Cut the zucchini in half and hollow out the the inside by scraping the seeds out with a spoon, then stir in these scrapings to the sauteed veggies in the skillet, add a sprinkling of thyme and cover for about 5-10 minutes or until the carrots and cabbage have become soft.
- Transfer the sauteed veggies to a food processor and pulse the mixture until it has a c0leslaw-like consistency (it should be a bit chunky, and not a paste)
- Stir the mixture into the ground sunflower seeds and put aside for a moment ( if you like you can add some freshly chopped cilantro at this point).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- With a fork pierce holes into the flesh of the zucchini every 1cm or so ( don’t puncture the skin)
- Pour a little balsamic vinegar into the holes you’ve just pierced, then sprinkle a bit of salt over the inside of the zucchini.
- Fill the zucchini with the Vegepate mixture and bake in the oven for 35 min at 350 degrees F. (The rest of the Vegepate can be put into a pan, formed into a loaf, and baked as well)
- After 3o minutes in the oven sprinkle parmesan cheese over the zucchini and return to the oven. (Vegans can omit this step)
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.